Thursday, January 22, 2009

Project for a rainy, er snowy, day

Like alot of you out there I have a list of tasks/chores/projects I could take on when it is too cold/rainy/whatever to be outside. My list is fairly long and I think it's because I find myself completely unmotivated to tackle anything off my list when said cold/rainy/whatever day finally arrives. But since morning sickness is still in full force, and I need something to take my mind off of it, and we're in for at least two more months of winter, I thought I'd tackle one item on my list.

A three ring binder chock full of recipes torn out of magazines that I've collected for about the last ten years. No joke. There are A TON of recipes in this binder and my plan is to divide them out into catagories so that when I want a specific recipe I can find it. Right now? They are all just jammed in and in no order whatsoever. Which of course means I've NEVER pulled this book out to make anything-anything except more of a mess when I jam another handful of recipes in.

I'm sure in this process I'll find recipes that I'll never actually make and that is part of the project as well. I know that eight or ten years ago my culinary skills were immature but quite ambitious. Now they may be more experienced but are totally time and energy tapped and I don't think I'll attempt making the six course meal that I may have though looked cool back then any time soon.

One criteria for this home-made cookbook/binder: pictures. If there isn't a picture w/ the recipe from whatever magazine I tore it out of it's gone. I'm just a visual person, especially when it comes to cooking. I need to see what my creation is supposed to look like. I guess it makes me feel like I passed the test when my meal looks just like the picture regardless of how it tastes.

So, here I go. This has only been on my list forever and I'm anxious to find some new recipes to try, for when food becomes my friend again.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Good luck on the cookbook cleanup. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that procrastinates :) I have a card I bought for a friend two years ago and I still haven't sent it. Then there's the goodbye card for Josh and Jess that I never gave 'em....

Congrats again on the pregnancy!!! I remember those days a little too well at the moment to desire pregnancy again :) We'll be praying for your new little one!