Monday, June 16, 2008

Is it just me or does everyone have sporatic amnesia about their past weekends?

Most of the time, by Monday morning I can hardly remember what we did the past Friday night. Saturdays are usually very hazy at best. Sunday stays somewhat vivid but only because it stays in the "24 hour zone" in my brain.

The forgetfulness comes with mommyhood. One of the many lovely side effects. I keep a desk calendar far more updated than I ever have in my life because my mental one is permanantly on the fritz.

But sometimes when we do really fun things the memories tend to stick out better to me. Friday night we spent relaxing and hanging out. We like to do this on Fridays to reconnect after a busy week and to just relax.

Saturday we were able to have Grandma and Grandpa come over and babysit Grayson again, which he always loves. It is so fun to have him recognize people (which he has been doing for a while) and to see the joy it brings them. Parenting REALLY TRULY does illuminate the most simple joys in this life.

So what did we do since we had babysitters?? We were able to hang out with the Brown's who were in town. We grilled out and then went to a PARTY! At Aletha and Greg's! Whom Pete and I had never met!

Behind the blog: Julie and Aletha

I began a correspondence with Aletha through our blogs, of which Jessica's is the origin. We actually only live several streets away from each other and well, she was nice enough to invite us to a summer party they were having! Without even thinking I replied, sure! And we met face-to-face on Saturday and guess what?! She's normal, a total sweetheart, and now not just a virtual friend anymore!

We had a really good time at the party, and ducked out just before it started to rain. It was wonderful to hang out with old friends and catch up and to meet new friends all at the same time!

Sunday we went to early church and then met up with Grandma and Grandpa Buurstra for lunch at Logan's. In a word: YUM. Those rolls...I could EXIST on those rolls. We headed home for a quick nap and then spent some time outdoors enjoying the day together. One of Pete's Father's Day gifts was Scrabble and well, while I thought this MIGHT BE my game, i.e. a game that involves me winning occasionally instead of getting my hiney kicked all the time, I WAS WRONG. I'm still trying to figure out how I can use the Q for 13 points and in a triple word score: IMPOSSIBLE!

Side note: I really wanted to put a video of Christina Aguilera singing "Ain't no other man" on here for Father's Day because THERE AIN'T NO OTHER MAN for me, or Grayson, but the video on YouTube was a little bit racey for this family blog. And I'm amazed at myself that I now use the word racey to describe things. Another not-to-lovely side effect of mommyhood. Anyways, I told Pete this and that my intentions were good at least and he said..."no they weren't". Hmmmm, I thought he LIKED Christina Aguilera. Guess not.

1 comment:

Aletha VanderMaas said...

It was lovely finally meeting you. I'm glad you two could make it out, and also that you had a good time. Darn rain came in, but the keg was dry--so, maybe it was perfect timing :) Hope to hang out again soon!