Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Red balloon, red balloon, red balloon, red balloon...

About a year or so ago I went shopping one afternoon with Kara and Natalie. We went to a baby consignment shop that was having sidewalk sales. Grayson was still just a wee thing so he was conveniently set down on the sidewalk (in his infant carrier) so I could peruse the racks all the while keeping my eye on him. Ah, such was the life when they were immobile.

Anyways, because it was a sidewalk sale the racks were decked out with cute red balloons to attract passersby. Natalie was talking up a storm and was in the "what's that" stage of verbalization. I heard Kara say "that's a red balloon" with so much enthusiasm of a new mom explaining what something is to her curious daughter. But before long it was shortened to "red balloon, red balloon, red balloon red balloon" as Natalie continued to ask, "what's that what's that what's that". I giggled as I looked through the boy's rack at those Telman girls going around and around and around. And I remember thinking that I couldn't wait to be there too!!! Explaining all the wonders of the world to my little guy.

Well, we are there. He hasn't asked so much as told me that everything is "dada". Well, no not exactly sweetheart. That guy down the aisle from us at Meijer...not so much Dada. That inanimate object on the lawn...definitely not even close to Dada. But alas, it is constant "dada dada dada dada-ing" all day long. I'm secretly hoping he skips the "what's that" stage all together although a game of "what's that/red balloon" would surely give me the giggles!

**********************************************************

We had an excellent weekend, even with the rain. Sunday cleared up nicely and we had our first REAL trip to the zoo. And it was HOT. And it was BUSY. But as much as we could tell Grayson loved it.

I have to say though, I guess I was surprised that the zoo wasn't more younger kid/stroller friendly. Funny how you don't really look at things from all angles until you're in a different situation but it was really built for kids that are at least 3' tall and up. There were multiple spots that were not stroller-friendly (not to mention not even wheelchair accessable!) either. Just something I noticed. Cuz I tend to notice those things more now.

Pics to be added this afternoon of our zoo adventure...stay tuned!

No comments: